Celebrate Mother’s Day with a new twist on a beloved classic. Our recipe for Croissant French Toast is decadent, unique, and the perfect treat for mama.
Grab your drool bibs.
I’m always up for brunch. When Mother’s Day rolls around, I’m up for it even more. Treat the mama in your life with my recipe for Croissant French Toast. I’ve paired it with a ricotta cheese dip and it is out of this world!
I have forever been a fan of French toast. While I would never say “no” to making a batch of it, I thought that I might step it up and try something a little different this time around.
Premiere Moisson is a popular bakery in Quebec, and we’re lucky enough to have one just 5 minutes away from our home. We often find ourselves visiting the bakery weekly, either purchasing a baguette to go with our dinner or enjoying Sunday breakfast as a family.
This week’s trip to Première Moisson was to fulfill the recipe for the Croissant French Toast I’ve been craving to make so badly. It’s difficult going in there and only purchasing a single item. This time, it was only half a dozen croissants but trust me, it took every ounce of my willpower to resist their other treats.
Lo and behold, my newest recipe is now officially part of our family’s breakfast go-to breakfasts.
Why not try it out for this year’s Mother’s Day brunch?
For the French toast portion, all it takes is a few ingredients:
- croissants – and I make sure they’re a day old; it always works out better for French toast, in my opinion
- Ground Cinnamon & Nutmeg
Before making this recipe, I was going to go old-school and dip the croissants in my egg batter and fry each one individually. After a bit of research, I opted for a casserole-style serving. It’s a real time-saver and I feel like the flavours come through a lot stronger when baked.
I was lucky because the strawberries I picked up were extremely juicy and fresh. To get the most of this recipe, I highly encourage you to go with fruits that are in season.
Anyway, those are just a few of my tips! Without further ado, here is the recipe:
How to Make Croissant French Toast (with a Strawberry Topping and Ricotta Cheese Dip)
Croissant French Toast with a Strawberry Topping and Ricotta Dip
- 5-6 croissants
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tbsp ground nutmeg
For the topping and ricotta dip
- 10-12 strawberries washed and cut in half
- 6 tbsp granulated sugar divided
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp whipping cream
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut your croissants in half, lengthwise. Line them up in a small rectangular dish, about 13 in x 8 in
- In a bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour the mixture evenly over your croissants.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Once the 30 minutes are up, remove aluminum foil cover and bake for another 20 minutes.
To make the topping and ricotta dip:
- In a small bowl, pour 4 tbsp sugar over cut strawberries. Allow the strawberries sit in the sugar.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat together ricotta cheese, remaining sugar, honey and whipping cream.
- Beat until fluffy and scoop in a serving bowl.
- Serve Croissant French Toast on individual plates and top each portion with sugar-coated strawberries. Use the ricotta mixture as a dip or serve on top.
What I love most about this recipe is the ricotta cheese dip. Don’t forget, you can use whatever fruit you wish! We chose strawberries, as I found a beautiful batch at our local grocery store. I encourage you to use whatever’s in season, to get the most out of the fruit’s flavour.
What are your plans for Mother’s Day? Is this recipe something your mom/grandma/aunt/sister would enjoy?
If you liked what you read, be sure to subscribe to our bi-weekly newsletter for extra recipes, tips, and fashion-forward finds!