Apple crisp is the epitome of the fall season – and I can’t wait to share my recipe with you.
A warm, cinnamon-infused apple base with a sweet, buttery oat crumble topping. Sheer, sheer perfection.
My sister was the one who introduced me to apple crisp… back when I was a wee little one. In fact, now that I think about it, she’s the one responsible for a lot of my baking adventures. I mean, she was the one who introduced me to meringue and lace cookies, after all.
When it comes to pie-baking, I can’t help but turn to a crisp-style recipe instead. I am not keen on making my own pie crust, and I just feel like “crisps” are a fantastic alternative.
Lemon Juice in the Apple Mixture
There are many reasons why pie and crisp recipes call for lemon juice. One of the reasons is to prevent the discoloration of the fruit in your pie/crisp.
Also, the lemon helps with flavor and in this case, it helps add some tartness to the apples.
For this recipe, you can also use apple cider in lieu of the lemon juice. It would offer a different flavor but still be equally tasty.
How to Make Apple Crisp
Okay, what are we all waiting for?! It’s time for some Apple Crisp deliciousness! Check out the recipe below for the full details on how to make the tastiest Apple Crisp dessert out there.
For the Apple Base
- 6 red apples peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp lemon juice
For the Crumble Topping
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cold butter cut into pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients for the apple base. Mix well.
- Pour the apple mixture into the baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, mix all ingredients except for butter.
- Once ingredients are well-combined, add cold butter and use a pastry cutter to combine. Once the mixture feels like slightly wet sand, it’s ready.
- Spread the crumble topping on top of the apple mixture. Bake for about 45 minutes.
- Serve warm with a side (or a topping!) of vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!