The silicone beauty sponge offers a new way to apply foundation.
I have a weak spot for binge-watching beauty gurus on YouTube. A couple of my favorites include Morgan from The Beauty Breakdown and Nikkie from NikkieTutorials. I can watch them all day. Perhaps it’s the way they flawlessly apply foundation, create the perfect lip, and blend in their eyeshadows… whatever it may be, it is all so jaw-dropping. I also love it when they review trending beauty products. I love seeing their first-hand experience with a product I’m contemplating purchasing.
Lucky for me, I got my hands on a couple of generic-branded silicone sponges. The Silicone Beauty Sponge rose to fame because of how little product it “drank up” compared to competing makeup sponges and brushes.
I was giddy with joy when I received mine. I was so eager to try them that I even went out and purchased a new bottle of my go-to Bobbi Brown foundation. Upon trial, here were my initial thoughts:
- A lot less product is required (compared to using makeup sponges and brushes)
- Easy to clean – love the fact that this can be wiped dry, unlike sponges that need to be aired out. Less room for breeding bacteria!
- Smooth on the face – no abrasiveness on my sensitive skin
- Takes more time to blend – I had a more difficult time getting my foundation to set on my skin and not look so cakey
- Shape is not-so angle friendly – harder to get in smaller areas like creases or just underneath the corner of my eye
Overall, the silicone beauty sponge is something I would recommend. I would, however, encourage people to be extremely patient with it. Application may take some getting used to. Once you get the right blending technique, you’ll find that its pros heavily outweigh its cons. I find that softly dabbing it onto your skin will help with build-up and coverage.
Have you ever tried the silicone beauty sponge? What were your first impressions? Let me know in the comments below!